Cardiovascular surgical care in Denver
Rose Medical Center employs top-notch, expert heart and vascular surgeons. The Heart & Vascular Center at Rose offers a strong multidisciplinary approach to cardiac procedures with the aid of our cardiology partners. We are able to bring together the very best healthcare providers to perform delicate cardiovascular procedures.
Many cardiovascular conditions can be treated with less invasive procedures, but from time to time, a more aggressive surgical approach is necessary. The Heart & Vascular Center at Rose is a trusted partner in your path to cardiac care along with our cardiology and critical care team.Find a cardiovascular surgeon
Specialized surgical treatment
Our medical and surgical teams bring a first-rate level of surgical experience, offering patients treatment options that are not available at other centers in Denver, including:
- Aneurysm repair
- Maze surgery for atrial fibrillation
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG)
- Endovascular therapies, including stenting and balloon angioplasty
- Peripheral stenting
- High-risk cardiac surgery with advanced therapies, including tandem heart and LVAD
- Endovascular repair
- Valve repair/replacement
- Vascular surgery
Our expert surgeons
The heart and vascular surgical team at The Heart & Vascular Center at Rose includes Cleveland Clinic-trained surgeons Michael Firstenberg, M.D., FACS and Jennifer Hannah, M.D. Dr. Firstenberg and Dr. Hanna bring surgical expertise and offer patients access to procedures that are not available at the great majority of open-heart centers. That means patients at Rose see the very best providers as they undergo these delicate procedures.
The Heart & Vascular Center goes beyond treating the heart, we also offer specialized care for the veins which help keep your blood flowing in the right direction. We treat a range of vascular disorders including:
- Aortic aneurysm
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Carotid artery disease (carotid artery stenosis)
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Varicose veins
- Venous disease
Our physicians are committed to using the latest inventive treatments to meet the needs of each of our patients. In fact, we were the first in Colorado to utilize a specialized drug-coated balloon PTA catheter. This technology is an aid to the angioplasty procedure, preventing tissue from scarring and slowing the additional buildup of plaque in the artery, allowing the angioplasty to last longer. As a result, patients experience the benefits of this procedure for a longer time.
Our vascular services also include:
- Bypass surgery and endovascular therapy for peripheral artery disease and limb threatening problems
- Carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting
- Endovascular and open repair abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Endovascular and open surgical reconstruction for deep vein occlusions
- Endovascular intervention, including angioplasty and stenting
- Endovascular intervention and open bypass surgery for mesenteric and renal arteries
- Endovascular repair for thoracic aortic aneurysms, thoracic aortic dissections and thoracoabdominal aneurysms, including hybrid aortic procedures
- Endovenous laser therapy and open surgical intervention for varicose veins and venous ulcers
- Hemodialysis access (fistulas and AV grafts for dialysis)
- Open surgical reconstructions and balloon angioplasty and stenting in all vascular areas
- Treatment of vascular tumors, including carotid body tumors
- Treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome
- Venous insufficiency and lower extremity ulcers
The Vein Center at Rose Medical Center offers a unique approach to vein care that caters to the needs of our patients. We use technology that has a lower failure rate and an operative team that is dedicated solely to vein patients. All of our doctors are board-certified in either general surgery or vascular surgery and are assisted by registered vascular technicians.
Varicose veins are abnormal veins that can occur in the legs. The veins in your legs contain valves that allow blood to move from your legs up to your heart. When those valves do not close properly, blood can pool in your legs, causing pressure and swelling, and leading to the appearance of varicose veins.
Call (720) 475-8750 to learn more about varicose veins and treatment options.
Varicose veins can be “spider veins” that lie just below the skin’s surface, or they can appear as thick, bulging or knotty veins. While many people believe that varicose veins are simply a cosmetic issue, often underlying medical problems can cause varicose veins. It is important to consult with a doctor about your condition, so the proper treatment is recommended.
Your relationship with The Heart & Vascular Center at Rose does not end after your surgery or once other treatments are complete. Our dedicated on-site cardiac rehabilitation program provides individualized treatment plans for each of our cardiac patients. Our cardiac rehabilitation program is available three days a week, with extended hours, to accommodate your schedule.