You cannot stop cataracts that are from age. People over 60 should have an eye exam once every 1 to 2 years. You should have one more often if you have:
- High blood pressure
- Rheumatoid arthritis or other problems with your immune system
- Been taking steroid medicine
- A family history of cataracts or other eye problems
Note: Talk to your doctor about how often you should get your eyes tested.
These steps may lower your risk:
- Treat any health problems that you have.
- Do not stay in the sun for too long. Wear a hat and UVA/UVB-blocking sunglasses.
- If you smoke, talk to your doctor about how to quit.
- Limit alcohol.
- Wear safety glasses when you play sports.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review BoardJames P. Cornell, MD
- Review Date: 12/2018 -
- Update Date: 02/13/2019 -