Low Iodine Diet SummaryBefore Radioactive Iodine Treatment or Scan
- Diet is LOW iodine, not iodine-free.
- Diet is for 2 weeks prior to radioactive iodine scan/treatment.
- READ INGREDIENT LISTS on all packaged foods!
- Avoid foods that are HIGH in iodine (>20 mcg/serving).
- Limit foods MODERATE in iodine (5 – 20 mcg/serving).
- Eat any foods that are LOW in iodine (<5 mcg/serving).
- Iodized salt, sea salt or foods containing salt.
- Seafood and sea products (fish, shellfish, seaweed, etc.)
- Any dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, etc.)
- Egg yolks or whole eggs
- Baked goods with iodine or iodine-containing ingredients
- Red Dye #3
- Chocolate (due to milk)
- Sulfured molasses
- Soybeans and soy products (soy milk, tofu, soy sauce, etc.)
- Beans (kidney, pinto, lima, navy, cowpeas, etc.)
- Potato skins (inside is okay)
- Rhubarb or maraschino cherries (red dye #3)
- Fruits (except rhubarb and maraschino cherries)
- Vegetables (raw or frozen) without salt
- Unsalted nuts and unsalted nut butters
- Egg whites
- Fresh meats up to 6 oz. per day
- Grain and cereal products up to 4 servings per day (provided no HIGH iodine ingredients)
- Pasta (with no HIGH iodine ingredients)
- Sugar, jelly, jam, honey, maple syrup
- Black pepper, herbs and spices (except salt)
- All oils (including soy oil)
- Sodas (except with red dye #3)
- Coffee and tea (non-instant)
- Beer, wine, alcoholic beverages
- Fruit juices
- Oatmeal with cinnamon, honey, or fruit
- Grilled fresh meat, vegetables, fruit or baked apple
- Salad with grilled meat, oil and vinegar dressing
- Matzo PB&J sandwich (Matzo crackers with unsalted peanut butter and jelly)
- Fresh or dried fruits
- Raw vegetables
- Popcorn (unsalted, unbuttered)
- Unsalted nuts
- Unsalted peanut butter with fruit, vegetables, or rice cakes
- Unsalted Matzo or other unsalted crackers
- Homemade low-iodine bread or muffins
INFORMATION COURTESY OF THYROID CANCER SURVIVORS’ ASSOCIATION. For more information or for the free downloadable “Low Iodine Cookbook”, visit www.thyca.org.