Prepare for Your Breakthrough
In this section, you will find information about exercises to perform before and after surgery as well as the opportunity to download your patient guidebook for your specific surgery.
We’ve found that well-informed patients feel more comfortable when they know what lies ahead, which can result in more success in recovery.
Instructions for After Your Surgery
We will provide walkers and/or crutches during your stay for use while in the hospital. You will need to make arrangements for a walker and/or crutches for after you are discharged. It is important that you make arrangements to obtain a walker and/or crutches before your procedure date and bring them with you. Ask your surgeon if their office can provide them or you can get them from the sources listed below.
The physical therapy team also may make other equipment recommendations customized to your own living situation and needs. For example, most total joint replacement patients benefit from a shower chair because it is difficult to shower while standing. This equipment can be obtained from the following:
- Medical equipment stores
- Pharmacy/home stores like Walgreens or Bed, Bath & Beyond
- Used equipment from friends and family
- Loaner programs such as:
- American Legion (short-term for veterans and family) 155 Van Gordon #364 Lakewood, CO 80228 303-914-5585
- Assistance League of Denver 6265 East Evans Ave, Denver, CO 80222 303-322-1688
- Clements Senior Center 1580 Yarrow St. Lakewood, CO 80214 303-987-4820
- Dominican Sisters Home Health Agency 2501 Gaylord Denver, CO 80205 303-322-1413
- Senior Assistance Center 2839 W. 44th Ave. Denver, CO 80211 303-455-9642
See SeniorsResourceGuide.com for a more extensive listing of loaner programs.